- An organisation created in 1946 by and for museum professionals.
- A unique network of more than 35,000 members / museum professionals who represent the global museum community.
- A diplomatic forum made up of experts from 136 countries and territories to respond to the challenges museums face worldwide.
- A consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council.
- 119 National Committees and 30 International Committees dedicated to various museum specialties.
- A leading force in ethical matters.
- One of the founding members of the International Committee of the Blue Shield (ICBS).
- A Public Interest Organisation.
- 3 official languages: English, French and Spanish.